I’m circling back to this topic with some updated information.
We think we have come up with a smart solution to the wishes you have been voicing. The problem:
- The server should shut down and backup its data when the owner/co-owners are not playing.
- A group of co-owners should still should be able to access one particular server at any time and play even if the owner isn’t online.
- Keep cost affordable.
Here’s our idea:
- We make the price for owning a Private Friend Server significantly lower than what it would cost to run a server constantly.
- When the owner leaves the game, the server will keep running as long as there is at least one player left who also owns a Private Friend Server. Once there are none, the server will shut down after a few minutes (there should always be enough time to get born again before the server shuts down).
- Players who own a Private Friend Server are able to start up other player’s servers, which they have gotten invitations to.
@Shannon In your case, you and your friend each purchase a 30 day Private Friend Server and invite each other. Then each of you can start any one of the two servers at any time. You can choose to only play on one of them all the time, or switch between them - it’s up to you. You can also choose to invite other friends to one server or both. Together you will still pay a lower price than what it would cost to have one server run at all times, and you also get the backups whenever none of you are playing.
@JeffToDeff In your case, a number of people in your group each buy a 30 day PFS. As long as at least one of them is playing, everyone in your group can play. As an added bonus, the group will have several worlds/servers to play on if you’d like to.
The prices we are looking to try are USD $5 for 30 day PFS and $3 for 30 day Solo Play Server. If people on average are sharing PF servers with several owners, this should work. If almost all server owners play on their own server with 10 non-paying friends each, we would have to adjust the price though. We think it’s worth a shot.
What do you think?